Saturday, June 7, 2014

On the road to Minimalism

I think I'm addicted to getting rid of things. I just hate cleaning that much, that I'd rather not own things which need cleaned. We used to just donate everything small to Goodwill and only sell that "big" things, but I've decided that since I rarely have the car to make Goodwill donation trips, I'd rather try selling our things first.

I think I've joined every single Buy/Sell/Trade group for my area on Facebook. I know it probably sounds crazy, but I get a little thrill whenever I list something for sale in these groups. Knowing that there is one more empty spot in my house is priceless.

But why? Well, when I realized that I was starting to feel like our home was too small for the three of us, I thought "this is NOT right". It just so happened that I also recently started listening to The Art of Simple podcast and reading simple living/minimalist blogs. A few days ago, Tsh interviewed Joshua Becker about minimalism and it was just the kick that I needed to jump in feet first!

I don't know exactly what minimalism will look like for us yet. It's a day-by-day thing. I started with simplifying my wardrobe. Next, I'm moving on to what's in our closets. Right now I'm only getting rid of things we clearly have no use for anymore. The hard part will come when we start paring down those things that we use but possibly have too much of or those things that we want to use, someday. I know that I have a nasty habit of attaching a lot of sentimental value on to items. Generally, I know exactly who gave me what, when, in my home and I can't ever imagine getting rid of it. But then I also think of all the things that I've given over the years - I can't even remember half the gifts (well, the epic fails I remember, but that's another story for another day) so it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if I walked into the home of a dear friend and didn't see anything that I had given her. So why do I think others would be hurt if I no longer own gifts?

What about you? Do you enjoy decluttering? Or maybe you've already got a neat, tidy home. Tell us your secrets, please!

1 comment:

  1. I love decluttering--it is a never-ending process in our house, what with 5 kids and a hubby who likes to keep things forever... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...